We are looking for a motivated Back-end Software Engineer to join the Department of Biomedical Informatics at Harvard Medical School, for an exciting opportunity in steering how clinical genomics data will be analyzed and annotated in a new genomics analysis platform.
Genome sequencing is becoming a routine approach for diagnosing genetic diseases, as well as discovering new disease mechanisms. As the number of patients referred to genetic screening is increasing, there is a clear need to build effective solutions to manage their data for clinical applications and discovery research.
The Clinical Genomic Analysis Platform (CGAP) at Harvard Medical School is envisioned as a scalable research and clinical web-based application for analysis, annotation, visualization, and reporting of genomic data. CGAP is developed by a multidisciplinary diverse team of clinical geneticists, bioinformatics scientists and software engineers. The working environment combines the best features of a startup (fast pace, flexibility, flat hierarchies) with those of one of the leading medical schools (excellent benefits, outstanding opportunities for learning, great resources, brand recognition).
The Back-end Software Engineer is responsible for leveraging the content and capabilities of our growing next-generation sequencing data. The scope of this role will include responsibility on data integrity, processing data at scale, serving content to the front-ends, integrations with internal and external systems, and end-to-end testing. The back-end software engineer will be working closely with other engineers, as well as computational, experimental and clinical geneticists.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in web application development.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Experience developing user-facing software.
- Experience with data integrations, MapReduce, API security and integration testing.
- Familiarity with web stack, including protocols and web server optimization techniques.
- Experience with software development for healthcare products as well as familiarity with common clinical scenarios, regulatory and quality standards, payer and provider considerations.