We are looking for an aspiring and motivated software engineer to join the Department of Biomedical Informatics at Harvard Medical School, to build platforms for genome analysis. Genome sequencing is becoming a routine approach for diagnosing genetic diseases. As the number of patients referred to genetic screening is increasing, there is a need to build effective solutions to manage their data for clinical applications and discovery research.
The Clinical Genomic Analysis Platform (CGAP) and the 4D Nucleome (4DN) Platform at Harvard Medical School are scalable web-based applications for analysis, annotation, visualization, and reporting of genomic data. The portals are developed by a multidisciplinary diverse team of clinical geneticists, bioinformatic scientists, and software engineers, and share the cloud-based back-end. The working environment combines the best features of a startup (fast pace, flexibility, flat hierarchies) with those of one of the leading medical schools (excellent benefits, outstanding opportunities for learning).
You are an aspiring software engineer who wants:
- to build open-source data portal for genomics,
- to gain practical experience with all the technologies the platform is based on,
- to work in a small team of developers and scientists utilizing state of the art big data technologies and following best practices,
- to conduct systems analysis, design, development, and implementation of new web applications, to take courses at the Harvard Extension school at very reasonable costs (optional),
- to enjoy other excellent benefits Harvard University has to offer,
- to contribute to science and healthcare through software engineering.
The responsibilities include:
- optimizing data structures and databases to store and query millions of genetic variants,
- improving the back-end of the application according to users’ feedback,
- end-to-end software testing.
The successful candidate will gain hands-on experience with, and master the following technologies:
- Cloud computing (eg. Amazon Web Service)
- RESTful API (Pyramid)
Typical Core Duties
- Participate fully in software development life cycle
- Support technical solutions to deliver business requirements
- Troubleshoot problems and suggest improvements to coding practices
- Act as technical liaison to internal clients
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of two years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Examples of past programming projects that used Python and version control systems (eg. Git)
- Strong Python coding skills.
- Experience with version control systems and team software development (preferably Git).
- Ability to define and solve logical problems for highly technical applications.
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Ability to work independently, manage own time and learn quickly.
- Ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods.
- Experience working with large amounts of data and building data pipelines.
- Experience in web application development. API design, security, and integration testing.
- Familiarity with web stack, including protocols and web server optimization techniques.
- Cloud computing architectures (preferably with Amazon Web Services).
- Automated testing, Continuous integration/deployment.
- Experience with software development for healthcare products as well as familiarity with common clinical scenarios, regulatory and quality standards, payer and provider considerations.