Plan and conduct comprehensive applications/web development for complex projects; typically work as part of a team to implement complex business solutions. Perform expert coding: design, develop code at an expert level, and manage development projects, teams, programs. May manage multiple projects simultaneously.
You are a Sr. full stack web developer (node/JS/python) who wants:
- To build open-source cloud-based solutions for a science data portal
- To contribute to science and healthcare
- To work in a small team of developers and scientists utilizing state of the art big data technologies and following best practices
- To lead the systems analysis, design, development, and implementation of new web applications
- To take courses at the Harvard Extension school at very reasonable costs (up to you)
- To enjoy other excellent benefits Harvard University has to offer
- We are the Single Cell RNA Platform Team at the Department of Biomedical Informatics (DBMI), Harvard Medical School (HMS)
- DBMI: a vibrant community of scientists and developers whose goal is to advance the boundaries of knowledge. For our developers, the department is like an incubator.
- Single Cell RNA Platform Team: This is us; a small team building the core data management and analysis framework for the single cell Core at Harvard Medical School, making sure that the data from the core will be accessible to scientists in HMS and around the world. The working environment provides the best features of a startup: fast pace, flexibility, flat hierarchies with the stability and benefit of an exciting academic center.
Technologies we use:
- RESTful API
- Git / JIRA
Typical Core Duties:
- Participate fully in software development life cycle
- Research, design, and implement technical solutions to deliver business requirements
- Identify opportunities to improve and simplify applications portfolio and implement related enhancements
- Contribute to creation and maturing of software development best practices and new technologies
- Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external clients and to mentor junior staff
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
Minimum of five years' post-secondary education and/or relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
- Cloud computing architectures (preferably with Amazon Web Services).
- Experience in developing, testing, and deploying web-based applications.
- Strong Python development skills.
- Experience with web frameworks (preferably node.js stack).
- Experience with version control systems and team software development (preferably Git).
- Previous experience working in an academic environment.
- Knowledge of information technology applications, processes, software and equipment
- Highly specialized knowledge of a specific technology
- Demonstrated team performance skills, service mindset approach, and the ability to act as a trusted advisor