Postdoctoral Positions in the Group of Chirag Patel
Areas of focus
The Department of Biomedical Informatics (DBMI) in collaboration with the Center for Computational Biomedicine (CCB) at Harvard Medical School is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow with experience in in biomedical data science and/or related field, such as population genetics, biostatistics, or epidemiology. You will work with Chirag Patel, Associate Professor of Biomedical Informatics at HMS DBMI and Robert Gentleman, Executive Director of HMS CCB, to build tools and computer infrastructure to enhance use of large datasets across numerous modalities, including environmental, image-based (MRI), genetic (GWAS) from the domains of biology and population health. The goal of our efforts is to usher in a new age of precision medicine through combining ancestry, demographic, environmental, and genetic data to enable accurately classify disease and health that accounts for the diversity of the human population.
See recent papers in Nature Genetics, Diabetes Care, Diabetologia, Nature Communications, Cell Host and Microbe, and preprints (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.09.21258645v1 and https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.25.21255767v1) to get a flavor of the types of projects conducted in the group and our website.
- Proficiency with big data analytics including scripting languages such as R and python; frameworks such as tidyverse; and tools such as Spark
- Quantitative skills and experience with Epidemiology or genetic epidemiology
Additional skills that would be beneficial:
- Proficiency with R/Shiny for analytics application development
- Proficiency in computer tools, such as databases and SQL, command-line such as bash, and cluster compute applications
- Experience with tools for bioinformatics and association analysis, such as PLINK, BOLT-LMM
- (optional) Proficiency with tools such as tensorflow
- An earned doctorate in a Biomedical Informatics-related field (i.e. computational biology, computer science, etc.)
Job Skills and Competencies
- Self-motivated and highly detail oriented
- Strong technical/systems design and development skills
- Strong problem solving, testing, and debugging skills
- Solid understanding of research data systems and database design
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A solution focused attitude and ability to apply their skills to multiple projects at a time
- Interest in warehousing of large patient and cohort databases
As soon as possible
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please email a single PDF document containing a letter of application that addresses your interest in and qualifications for the position, and a curriculum vitae. Please include the names and contact information of three references, who will be asked to supply letters or will be contacted by phone early in the application process. This is a one year term appointment with options for renewal. The position is available now at Harvard Medical School in Boston.
Address applications to:
Chirag Patel, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biomedical Informatics
Research and Administrative Assistant
Harvard University is an equal opportunity employer.