Postdoctoral Positions in the Group of Chirag Patel
The Department of Biomedical Informatics (DBMI) at Harvard Medical School is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow with experience in database management (SQL), scientific programing (Python, R) and cloud computing (AWS, Google Cloud Platform) and an interest — but not necessarily experience — in biomedical data science (or related field, such as population genetics, biostatistics, or epidemiology). You will work with investigators from the Patel Group and Arjun Manrai, faculty members at HMS DBMI, and build tools and computer infrastructure to enhance use of large and disparate datasets from the domains of biology and population health to enable precision medicine. The goal of our efforts is to usher in a new age of precision medicine through combining lab, ancestry, demographic, environmental, and genetic data to enable accurately classify disease and health that accounts for the diversity of the human population.
Our applications are primarily R and python. However, it will be up to you to identify technologies for a client-facing database solution (physicians and patients or even commercial/industrial entities) based and deployed in a cloud-based system (e.g., Amazon, Google, or Microsoft). We utilize several storage technologies including Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SciDB, postgis, and other database systems. Our department has managed AWS hosted infrastructure across a variety of services including EC2, RDS, and Aurora. We are actively exploring data streaming and storage methods that will need to scale past the several terabytes we currently manage as the datafication of biology and health care increases.
Developing applications on our team involves exposure to the following:
- AWS Cloud Environment with DevOps tools
- Big Data problems in the biomedical and genomic space
- Interfacing with various data storage and indexing solutions like Oracle, Postgres, SciDB, SQL Server, Redshift, SOLR and others
- Proficiency with big data analytics including scripting languages such as R and python; frameworks such as tidyverse; and tools such as Spark
- Proficiency with R/Shiny for analytics application development
- An earned doctorate in a Biomedical Informatics-related field (i.e. computational biology, computer science, etc.)
Job Skills and Competencies
- Self-motivated and highly detail oriented
- Strong technical/systems design and development skills
- Strong problem solving, testing, and debugging skills
- Solid understanding of research data systems and database design
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A solution focused attitude and ability to apply their skills to multiple projects at a time
- Interest in warehousing of large patient and cohort databases
As soon as possible
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please email a single PDF document containing a letter of application that addresses your interest in and qualifications for the position, and a curriculum vitae. Please include the names and contact information of three references, who will be asked to supply letters or will be contacted by phone early in the application process. This is a one year term appointment. The position is available now at Harvard Medical School in Boston.
Address applications to:
Chirag Patel, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics
Research and Administrative Assistant
Harvard University is an equal opportunity employer.