Financial Aid Opportunities
Master of Biomedical Informatics INDECS Scholarship
The MBI Inclusive, Diverse and Equitable Communities Success (INDECS) Scholarship advances the DBMI Diversity Mission to help build and support a diverse, inclusive, and equitable Biomedical Informatics field. The scholarship covers tuition and mandatory fees for the typical duration of the program (three semesters) while the student is making satisfactory academic progress. Eligible candidates are accepted students in the 48-credit program who are U.S. Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents, have a demonstrated financial need, and have a demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts for underserved populations.
Candidates applying to the MBI INDECS Scholarship must:
- Apply to the 48-credit MBI Program before the application deadline and check the box indicating interest in being considered for the MBI INDECS Scholarship when prompted.
- Shortly after the MBI application deadline, you will receive an email with instructions on how to submit your INDECS application materials which include:
1. An essay of up to 500 words in which you:
- Describe how you have demonstrated your commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts for underserved populations.
- Describe how this commitment has and will continue to shape you personally and professionally.
2. Submission of a FAFSA form via https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa to determine financial need eligibility. Remember to choose the correct school year and list “E00472” for the HMS school code. [Address: Harvard University Medical School, Boston, MA]. If prompted, please use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
3. OPTIONAL: One letter of recommendation from a supervisor, mentor, or advisor that can speak firsthand about your experience and commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts for underserved populations. Note that this letter of recommendation is optional and specific to the INDECS Scholarship application and separate from the three letters of recommendation required for the MBI application.
All INDECS Scholarship application materials must be submitted by February 15, 2023.
Finalists will participate in an interview with the MBI Scholarship Committee around mid-March, 2023.
Note that current MBI students are not eligible to apply. Up to two scholarships will be granted each year. The program reserves the right not to award the scholarship in any particular year.
Questions? Email INDECS@hms.harvard.edu