The Biomedical Informatics Inclusive, Diverse and Equitable Communities Success (INDECS) Scholarship advances the DBMI Diversity Mission to help build and support a diverse, inclusive, and equitable Biomedical Informatics field. The scholarship covers tuition and mandatory fees for the typical duration of the MMSc in Biomedical Informatics program (four semesters) while the student is making satisfactory academic progress. Eligible candidates are accepted students in the MMSc-BMI program who are U.S. Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents, have a demonstrated financial need, and have a demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts for underserved populations.
Candidates applying to the INDECS Scholarship must:
- Apply to the MMSc-BMI program before the application deadline and check the box indicating eligibility and interest in being considered for the INDECS Scholarship when prompted.
- Shortly after the application deadline, you will receive an email with instructions on how to submit your INDECS application materials which include:
1. An essay of up to 750 words in which you:
- Describe how you have demonstrated your commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts for underserved populations.
- Describe how this commitment has and will continue to shape you personally and professionally.
2. Submission of a FAFSA form via https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa to determine financial need eligibility. Remember to choose the correct school year and list “E00472” for the HMS school code. [Address: Harvard University Medical School, Boston, MA].
3. One letter of recommendation from a supervisor, mentor, or advisor that can speak firsthand about your experience and commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts for underserved populations. Note that this letter of recommendation is specific to the INDECS Scholarship application and separate from the three letters of recommendation required for the MMSc-BMI application.
The INDECS application, FAFSA application, and letter of recommendation are due by 11:59pm on February 23rd, 2024.
Finalists will participate in a virtual interview with the INDECS Scholarship Committee around mid-March.
Note that current Master's students are not eligible to apply. Up to two scholarships will be granted each year. The program reserves the right not to award the scholarship in any particular year.
Questions? Email INDECS@hms.harvard.edu